Monday, December 3, 2007

Aikido

I’m so excited! It seems in the last few weeks a aikido dojo has sprung up in my neck of the woods! Let me tell you about my history with aikido.

Some years ago I lived just outside of Boston and got a temp job at Gillette. They are headquartered in south Boston. To get there I’d take a train into the city and the red line to Broadway Station. It was great.

I also wanted to take up a martial art for the discipline and fitness aspects. As is normal for me I did my research and discovered aikido. This, simply put, is my personality in a martial art. I am non-combative, non-aggressive, yet will defend myself when the need arises. There was a dojo in Cambridge near the Harvard Square Station, so all I needed to do when work was over was to jump on the red line and ride.

Cribbing heavily from Wikipedia: Aikido, the Way of harmonious spirit, is a synthesis of other martial arts and works mostly with throws and joint locks. An aggressor’s own energy is used and redirected to neutralize the aggressor with (hopefully) the least injury to both people. One first must learn how to fall and roll because all training involves pairs, one acting as the attacker, the other acting as the subject. Since a subject uses his body to harmonize with the attacker’s movement and redirect it, it does not call for significant strength, but relies on flexibility and balance. Yoga, (another activity I love) is very complimentary.

Unfortunately, not long after I started aikido, Gillette no longer needed me. My subsequent job was closer to home, a drive perpendicular to Boston. This made the trip to the dojo a long one. I tried to keep it up but it was just too long. Aikido, unlike, Taikwon-do, is not just around every corner. Even here, before this local place showed up, the nearest place was USF. It’s not insanely far away, but it’s just not convenient. So, I’m going to take it up again and see what happens. Unfortunately, I am 10 years older and many pounds heavier than I was then, but I’m going to give it my best.

No comments: