Friday, November 30, 2007

My History With Motorcycles

Back when I was a freshman in college, I first got the bug to get a motorcycle. The thing that stopped me was the advice of my father. (I’ve always had the utmost respect for my father. He is, and I say it without prejudice, one of the finest men in the world.) He pointed out a young fellow, probably not more than 21, that was working at one of our tire vender’s shops. The fellow obviously walked with a bad limp. Come to find out he lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. This put me off.

Just about 3 years ago, I started to feel the bug again. I felt better about the decision insomuch as I have become a better and more careful driver in the past (Good Lord is it!) 13 years. So I took the class offered at Armwood (undoubtedly the best and priced right).

A few days later I bought my first bike, a Yamaha V-Star 650 that had been lowered and seriously detailed. I named her Veronica. She was a beauty, but I started to get urge to have something truly unique. That’s when I sold her to one of my co-workers and got Athena.

Athena was a green Honda Shadow ACE 750. She obviously was a former show bike that had gone into retirement. I put hard saddle bags and a windshield on her. I moved her controls forward to accommodate my long legs and put a signal minder in her. I put a lot of effort into her.

I got a second motorcycle when I managed to work up enough cash, a Honda Hawk 650 named Sophia. Now I really fell in love! I felt so much more confident on Sophia. The bummer was, she was physically a small bike, so after a good long ride I was getting uncomfortable. With all this in mind, I knew what I had to do. Both Athena and Sophia went on the auction block. With the proceeds I got Trixie.

A Triumph Sprint RS 955 in Lucifer Orange. The previous owner had lowered her. Some might think it sacrilege, but I put a hard case on Trixie (I do have to travel with her.) and it has been ecstacy.

Long ago, not long after I got my licence, I joined my local CMA chapter, Covenant Riders. I earned my colors in children’s ministry. I got a chance to go to Spooks ‘n’ Scoots in 2006 and was frustrated that I could not do it this year. In fact, scheduling problems have hindered my ability to participate as much as I’d like.

The Sunday right before Halloween, I had a tumble on Trixie. Upon entering my church’s parking lot, I got off the tarmac and hit wet dirt, grass, and leaves. That just is not a good combo of a sports bike. Trixie was fine, but I spent the next 3 weeks on crutches from what turned out to be a "bone-bruise." My right leg from the knee down was badly swollen. It’s made me think that maybe I need to give up Trixie. Just a minor spill resulted in so much inconvenience. Yet, I love the feeling of being on her, it’s magic!

No comments: