Thursday, November 29, 2007

Vladimir Nabokov

One writer that absolutely amazes me is Vladimir Nabokov. This man, born and spending his first 12 years of life in Russia, later becomes one of the most remarkable writers in the English language. I often regret that I have not had the time to read more of his works. I have had the pleasure of reading Lolita.

Now about Lolita. The subject matter, on the surface, is indeed repulsive. The idea of a grown man wanting and having sexual relations with a 12 year old girl is repugnant. All to often, I think our society has shunned this work because of its content or highjacked it for its lurid value. Both are a disservice to this fine piece if literature. Indeed, I do not think for one moment that Nabokov wants us to find Humbert Humbert noble. Lolita is a study in love: how it can obsess us, how it can wound us, and how it can change us. Nabokov is poetic in his word usage. Despite the unpleasant nature of the story, we come to know the mind of this man through magnificent prose. In this way, it is a joy to read. By the end of the story, you may not like Humbert Humbert, but you come away with a new appreciation of love in the human condition.

If you have not read it, I highly recommend it. It is a relatively short novel and the text just pores off the page.

No comments: